How To Get Your Vehicle Approved in UK



If you have imported a vehicle to UK and you want it approved to be on UK roads, you must follow the country’s regulations.

If you are a manufacturer, you have the responsibility of going through the approval process before selling the car.

Below is when to approve your vehicle:

When ;

  • you have built a vehicle
  • You have rebuilt a vehicle
  • You have radically altered a vehicle
  • You have reconstructed a classic vehicle
  • You have imported a vehicle

Get a vehicle approved


You can get a single vehicle or small number of vehicles approved through:

    Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)


  1. Individual Vehicle Approval

You can use the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) scheme if you’re making or importing a single vehicle or a very small number of vehicles in the following categories:

passenger cars

goods vehicles

buses and coaches


special purpose vehicles, eg vehicles specially designed to hold a wheelchair

You can’t use the Statutory IVA scheme if your vehicle has been registered before in the UK – you’ll need to use Voluntary IVA instead.

Vehicle identification number

Your vehicle needs a vehicle identification number (VIN) before having an IVA inspection. Apply to DVLA if it doesn’t have one.


K and R



SA99 1ZZ

Basic and normal IVA

There are 2 levels of IVA inspection: basic and normal.

Basic IVA

Basic IVA involves a visual inspection and other tests to make sure the vehicle meets the necessary standards. You won’t normally need to provide any documentary evidence.

You can apply if you have a passenger car or light goods vehicle in one of these categories:

left-hand drive vehicles

personal imports

amateur built vehicles (kit cars)

rebuilt vehicles

very low volume production vehicles


motor caravans


armoured passenger vehicles

a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle

Read the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA ) guide on the IVA scheme for more on these categories.

Normal IVA

You’ll have to apply for normal IVA if you don’t meet the criteria for basic IVA.

This involves a more detailed inspection. Vehicles have to meet extra standards and you’ll have to provide documentary evidence.

Modified goods vehicles

You can use the IVA scheme to get approval for goods vehicles that have been modified.

Read the DVSA guide on IVA for modified goods vehicles to find out how changes are approved.

How to show your vehicle meets IVA standards


There are several ways to prove your vehicle meets IVA standards. Read part 5 of the DVSA guide on the IVA scheme for more details.

Model reports

One way of proving your vehicle is compliant is by showing it’s the same specification as another vehicle (a ‘master vehicle’) that’s been proved compliant. You do this using a model report.

If a model report has already been produced for your exact model of vehicle, you may be able to use it for a fee. Look for it on the DVSA list of model reports and their owners.

Otherwise, you’ll need to pay for your own tests to be carried out. These must be done by an authorised provider of ‘designated technical services’.

For more information on model reports, see part 11 of the DVSA guide on the IVA scheme.

How to apply

You need to choose the correct application form depending on your type of vehicle. Send it to the address on the form.

DVSA should offer you an inspection within 20 working days of receiving your completed application.

Choosing a test station


Your vehicle will be inspected at either one of DVSA’s approved test stations or a privately owned test facility. You should say which one you want to use on your application form.

Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA)

if you’re making or importing a single 2, 3 or smaller 4-wheeled vehicle

  1. Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval

When you must use the scheme

To register your motorcycle, 3-wheeled or light 4-wheeled vehicle, it must:

It must be inspected under the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) scheme if it doesn’t have a Certificate of Conformity.

You must also use the MSVA scheme if your vehicle has been radically altered or built using a mixture of parts from previously registered vehicles. For example:

  • amateur built vehicles
  • rebuilt vehicles
  • vehicles converted to a different wheelplan

Eligibility for MSVA

You can use the MSVA scheme for vehicles that:

  • are under 10 years old
  • haven’t been registered before in the UK
  • don’t have ECWVTA

The following types of vehicle are eligible:

  • 2-wheeled mopeds
  • 3-wheeled mopeds
  • light quadricycles
  • solo motorcycles
  • motorcycle combinations
  • motor tricycles
  • heavy quadricycles

These vehicle types are defined in appendix 1 of the MSVA guide, produced by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

Partial MSVA

If you have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC), it will say which side of the road and which speedometer units your vehicle is equipped for.

You must modify your vehicle if it isn’t equipped for use in Great Britain. It will then need a Partial MSVA to check the following items:

  • headlamp dipped beam pattern – this checks the headlamp is suitable for driving on the left
  • speedometer – the speed must be shown in miles per hour (mph) or dual mph and kilometres per hour
  • mirror location – on mopeds fitted with a single mirror, the mirror must be fitted to offside (right) of the vehicle

Read more in Partial MSVA frequently asked questions.

Vehicle identification number

Your vehicle needs a vehicle identification number before having an MSVA inspection. Write to the following address if it doesn’t have one.

SA99 1ZZ

Cost of the scheme

You have to pay a fee for DVSA to inspect your vehicle.

Choose a test station

Your vehicle will be inspected by DVSA at one of its approved test stations. You can choose which one as long as it inspects the category of vehicle you want to be tested.

Category Description
B 2-wheeled vehicles
T 3-wheeled vehicles
Q 4-wheeled vehicles


Station Address Categories
Aberdeen Cloverhill Road, Bridge of Don Industrial Estate, Aberdeen, AB23 8FE B, T, Q
Beverley Oldbeck Road, Off Grovehill Road, Beverley, East Yorkshire, HU17 0JW B, T, Q
Bristol Merebank Road, Avonmouth, Bristol, BS11 8AQ B, T, Q
Cardiff (Llantrisant) School Road, Miskin, Pontyclun, Mid Glamorgan, CF72 8YR B, T, Q
Carlisle Brunthill Road, Kingstown Industrial Estate, Carlisle, CA3 0EH B, T, Q
Chelmsford Widford Industrial Estate, Chelmsford, CM1 3DR B, Q
Derby Belmore Way, Alvaston, Derby, DE21 7AY B, T, Q
Edinburgh (Livingston) Grange Road, Houston Industrial Estate, Livingston, Edinburgh, West Lothian, EH54 5DE B, T, Q
Exeter Grace Road West, Marsh Barton Trading Estate, Exeter, Devon, EX2 8PU B, T, Q
Gillingham Ambley Road, Gillingham, ME8 0SJ B, T, Q
Leighton Buzzard Stanbridge Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 4QG B, T, Q
London West (Yeading) Cygnet Way, Willow Tree Lane, Yeading, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 9BS T, Q
Manchester (Chadderton) Broadway Business Park, Broadgate, Manchester (Chadderton), Oldham, OL9 9XA B, T, Q
Newcastle-upon-Tyne Sandy Lane, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE3 5HB B, T, Q
Norwich Jupiter Road, Hellesden, Norwich, NR6 6SS B, T, Q
Southampton (Northam) Unit R Centurion Industrial Estate, Bitterne Road West, Southampton, SO18 1UB B, T, Q
Watford Unit A, Caxton Court, Caxton Way, Watford, WD18 8RH B

Application form

Print off and fill in the MSVA application form.

Print off and fill in the Partial MSVA application form.

What happens next

DVSA will inspect your vehicle at the test station you’ve chosen and issue a Minister’s Approval Certificate (MAC) if it passes. You’ll need this certificate when you register your vehicle.

    Mutual Recognition scheme

if you’re importing a vehicle that’s been approved and registered in the EU

  1. Getting vehicle approval

Get vehicle approval to show that your imported vehicle meets environmental and safety regulations. You’ll need proof of approval to register the vehicle.

You might not need approval for a vehicle that was first registered or manufactured more than 10 years ago – check the exemptions.

If the vehicle’s not registered in the EU

To get approval for a vehicle that’s not registered in the EU, apply for either:

If the vehicle’s registered in the EU

Get a European Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer to show you have approval for an EU-registered vehicle.

You also have to get a certificate of Mutual Recognition if it’s a left hand drive vehicle.

Getting a certificate of Mutual Recognition

Use the application form for your:

Apply for IVA instead for a lorry or goods vehicle over 3,500kg.

There’s a £100 fee. Send your application to the address on the form. Attach receipts to prove you’ve made any required alterations, eg fitting a speedometer to display miles per hour.

Get help with Mutual Recognition

Contact the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) if you’re unsure whether your vehicle qualifies for Mutual Recognition.

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA)
Telephone: 0300 330 5797
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


From August 2015, you can’t apply for a Pre-Registration Inspection (PRI). You’ll need to get your vehicle approved instead.

You can get approval for a type of vehicle (rather than each individual vehicle) through: